Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Noblest of Hearts


I watched the Doctor Who episode "The Fires of Pompeii" tonight. This episode really interested me since I'm a history buff. I have always been fascinated with ancient history, especially Greek and Egyptian history. I'm very interested in the mythology of ancient history, and this episode dealt with mythology in a way. However, this episode reminded me of why I fell in love with Donna Noble's character. By far she is my favorite of the Doctor's companions. I know many fans of the show considered her to be too loud and annoying, which I'll admit her character could be at times. However, I think her name truly represented her heart and "The Fires of Pompeii" proved this. I couldn't imagine time traveling back to the day that Mount Vesuvius erupted and not trying to help the people of Pompeii. It must have taken strength and bravery to convince the Doctor to save at least one person after he explained to her that Pompeii was a fixed point in time. I think out of all the companions I can relate to Donna the most. I’m very stubborn and opinionated, but like Donna, I don't have as much confidence in myself. Despite of her lack of confidence, Donna pulled enough strength and compassion to fight for the lives of the people of Pompeii. Although the Doctor did appear to be somewhat villainous in this episode, we did get a good look into how hard his life would be. I wouldn’t be able to function if every minute I saw what could be, what might have been, and what can never be. That would be so confusing and in a way devastating, like having to make the decision between saving the people of Pompeii or the whole world. I think sometimes it is better not to know what is going to happen, because if you do, you can’t do anything to change it. I guess this goes to show you that not everyone can be a Time Lord.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment