Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Future Looks… Funny

This weekend I started watching the show Futurama and it made me laugh so much. I should have known since the show was created by Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons. I'm a big fan of The Simpsons and Futurama has the same witty but silly humor that I have grown to love. I enjoy the concept of the show; a lazy pizza boy frozen in a cryogenic sleep wakes up a century later. It's ironic how his new job as a package delivery boy in the future is extremely dangerous, since he is usually sent on insanely treacherous yet comical missions. I love how whenever Professor Farnsworth says "good news everyone", this phrase leads to a risky mission where the chances of survival are very slim. I’m also secretly amused when there are quick references to characters from The Simpsons such as when the robot Bender ate a pair of underwear off a Bart Simpson doll. This is not the only concept that I have seen both on Futurama and on another show. I was saddened to see that an idea from Doctor Who appears to actually originate from Futurama's episode "A Flight to Remember". Philip J. Fry, Leela, Bender, and the rest of the gang take a vacation trip on the Spaceship Titanic. In Doctor Who's episode "Voyage of the Damned" the Doctor boards a starship that is a replica of the Titanic. Both Titanic starships are leisure ships and both come to a tragic end, of course. And since Futurama's episode aired in 1999 and Doctor Who's episode aired in 2008, it breaks my heart to say that it appears as if Doctor Who plagiarized a bit. I am sure it was unintentional, but it just proves that great writers think alike.



No comments:

Post a Comment