Monday, February 11, 2013

Not So Tiny Anymore

I’m so happy that "Once Upon a Time" returned last night. I've been waiting two weeks for this show to come back on. So far the episode has given me a great deal to think about. The gender bending of Jack proved very interesting. I’m always excited when traditional fairytales have a woman stepping out of the roles of wife and mother. However, I was a little disappointed to have this Jack betray Anton, the giant who just wanted to make connections with humans. Jorge Garcia did such a good job playing the gentle giant. The fact that the giants were a hardworking and peaceful race and that the humans were deceitful and greedy was a nice twist. In most fairytales the giants are a malicious and greedy race that lord over their treasures. It was refreshing to have a new perspective on the giants, who valued a good day’s work over the benefits of their crops. I'm also a big fan of underdogs and I think that Anton really embodied an underdog. Not only was he the "dwarf" of his family but he was willing to give humans a chance, even if they didn't deserve it. I’m glad that Anton was accepted by the people of Storybrooke, even after he caused so much damage. And the cutting of the beanstalk that he provided for the town may prove very interesting for future episodes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment