Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I'm Over It

They tell us from the time we're young to hide the things that we don't like about ourselves, inside ourselves. I know I'm not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else. Well I'm over it.
Mary Lambert in "Secrets"
 

 
Surprisingly, with all the “unique” (by “unique” I mean outright strange) personalities in Hollywood, our society is one that does not tolerate individuals that do not fit a certain mold. If a person has original ideas or a creative way of looking at life, they are shunned, especially if they do not follow the expectations that are put in place for them. I know in past posts, I have voiced many complaints about how society and the media treats and abuses women. Oddly enough, the lyrics of this song brought to mind the abuses that are placed on some men (not all). There are some men who are trapped in the expectation to be the tradition male that is expected of them. In my opinion, if a man does not have muscles, a confidence bordering on arrogance, a protective nature bordering on obsession and no emotion except for anger, he is considered a failure as a man. I feel that there are many people, both men and women, who should be able to express their true personality (as long as this personality does not hurt others), regardless if it reflects gender expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment