Monday, March 3, 2014

The Villainous Outcasts

      Spoiler Alert! The first two characters I will compare are Regina Mills from Once Upon a Time and Benjamin Linus from Lost. The most glaring similarity is that both characters are longtime villains who were ruthless murderers. Regina, aka the Evil Queen, tricked a genie into killing her husband, King Leopold, ordered the murder of an entire village because of their association with Snow White, and killed Sheriff Graham because he was no longer under her control. Benjamin Linus, leader of the “Others” murdered Jacob because of jealousy, helped the “Hostiles” slaughter the DHARMA Initiatives members, and killed his rival Charles Widmore.

      Both Regina and Benjamin were power hungry and did everything to keep hold of their power. Regina could not destroy magic, even after hearing pleas from her son, because she would lose her power. Benjamin did not stop a mercenary from killing his daughter Alex because it would mean he would lose his leadership on the island.

      Both Regina and Benjamin were adoptive parents. Regina adopted Henry, the biological son of Emma Swan. Benjamin kidnapped Alex from her biological mother Danielle Rousseau after he was ordered to kill them both.

       Despite being despicable murderers, Regina and Benjamin tried to become better people at one point in their shows. Regina tried to quit using magic to please her son and she also saved Storybrooke and its citizens a couple of times. Benjamin helped the core castaways of the Island stop the “man in black” from destroying the island and he became Hugo Reyes's second hand man. Due to their past deeds and their swapping sides so often, both Regina and Benjamin found themselves as hated outcasts.

                                                                                                                                                  
                                                         

4 comments:

  1. The more into the seasons I go with OAUT, the more I like Regina. All she ever was to be loved by her mother or anyone really. Poor thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. At first I didn't think much about her character, but later on in the seasons I absolutely love her. I think that she just can't catch a break at all. She tries to do the right thing, but in the end something goes wrong, like her evil mother stirring up trouble, and everyone blames her. If I were her, I would react the same way she did. I think she never had much of a chance to experience a normal relationship, which may have resulted in her lack of empathy and distrust. I will tell you one thing, if they kill off her character, I will not watch the show again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, her mother took out her heart so it was kind of hard for her to love her own daughter. I will still probably watch if they remove her character, but I do not think that they will. The group really doesn't have anybody with magic since Rumple is gone. Hopefully he will come back though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would imagine it's hard to love without your heart. I hope they don't kill Regina. I read on some sites that one main character will die permanently this upcoming season and they have been advertising that the Wicked Witch from Oz is an enemy of Regina, so she could be killed. I think that Rumplestiltskin will come back into the show, although I personally wish he wouldn't. I never really liked his character that much, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete