Friday, June 28, 2013

Surprising Words from an Unlikely Source

While listening to the radio I heard a song that really touched my heart.  And what surprised me the most was that it came from artists that I have struggled with in the past. Before, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's songs usually left me feeling very confused. On the one hand, I love the sound of their music, like the melodies for their two songs "And We Danced" and "Thrift Shop." However, I'm definitely not a fan of their lyrics. I usually find their lyrics to be really offensive. However, their one song, "Same Love" was very insightful and truthful in my opinion. I feel that this song spotlights the hypocrisy that some religions show towards homosexuals. The song's lyrics "And god loves all his children, is somehow forgotten, but we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago" really does ring true to me. I can't understand how a religion can say that god loves all his creations, but yet seclude homosexuals as sinners. And yet that same religion claims that all humans are sinners as soon as they are born. The song's lyrics "If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed, that holy water that you soak in has been poisoned" really highlight some religions' hypocrisy. There are men and women that stand above everyone else saying that they are good people who only want to save the souls of others, and yet they turn around and commit cruel acts that only hurt other people, like the Westboro Baptist Church. The members of that church will disturb the funerals of those soldiers who have given their lives to provide basic rights, and yet Westboro's members use their rights to spew hateful messages about those same soldiers. All I can say is that after hearing Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's song "Same Love," I have a new level of respect for these artists.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment