Friday, May 24, 2013

Humanity of the Undead


I've been reading the novel "Warm Bodies" by Isaac Marion, and I must say that it is quite a tale. The extent of unique concepts seen in the movie of the same name comes nowhere close to that of the novel. Although many aspects of the movie are similar to the book, there are some ideas that are excluded from the movie, which in my opinion may be a good thing. The level of humanity that Marion portrays in his zombies can boggle the mind. In his novel, his zombies attend church, have a family, attend school, and even have a twisted version of sexual intercourse. Church is comprised of zombies standing in a circle, school consists of a helpless living human being attacked by zombie children, and sex is just standing around naked. I would argue that some zombie fans may not enjoy this unique encroachment into humanity. To me, these activities seem too ordinary to have such a supernatural phenomenon like zombies participating in them. However, although I do not like reading about zombies performing these acts, I cannot help but feel that Marion is trying to incorporate a deeper meaning into his novel. Perhaps he is saying that  the basic needs of pursuit of knowledge, craving of company, or hunger for touch, is so deeply embedded in our being that even a hypothetical situation of the zombie apocalypse  cannot extinguish these needs. Whatever his message is, I enjoyed the movie more than I did the novel, which is quite rare for me to say.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment