Friday, March 8, 2013

Metal to Metal, Spark to Spark

To show you how much of a geek I am, I watched Robot Combat League on SyFy tonight, which sadly is not the geekiest fact. I am so used to watching futurist science fiction shows that I thought the "effects" on this show were not well done. I've become so spoiled with watching computer generated effects that I'm expecting that fluidity in the robots that were fighting on Robot Combat League. In fairness, it really is amazing how advanced those robots were, considering that electronics have recently popped up in the last hundred years or so. I was really amazed that through engineering, the human fighters were able to maneuver such large machinery. I can definitely see the future potential, not only for fighting, but for a wide range of uses. Already robots are starting to be used for medicine and weapons. Electronic devices can serve as prosthetics, and be controlled by mere neural signals, like thoughts. This will give so many people a second chance after losing their limbs. Exoskeletons machines have the ability to advance the strength of human beings while still keeping their speed and agility. These exoskeletons have the potential to restore movement to paralyzed patients or those who have diseases such as Lou Gehrig’s. I knew someone with Lou Gehrig’s disease and it’s a horrible disease to witness and an even more horrendous disease to experience. I hope that humanity can find a cure for this disease, but allowing victims to be able to walk again would be a great miracle too. There is so much potential for robots and I am really curious as to what robotic advances we will see in the next few decades. The only drawback is we must be careful we don't have a scenario like the Terminator. Hey it may be a movie, but the concept is all too possible. Told you I was a geek!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment